What you need to know:
- This requirement is designed to support the development of digital literacy and other important transferable skills
- The requirement comes into effect with students who entered Grade 9 in the 2020-21 school year
- The equivalent of at least two fully online credits is required to fulfill the graduation requirement
- All students in Grade 9 during the 2020-21 school year were recognized as having completed one of the required credits as a result of province-wide school closures to count toward this graduation requirement
- Grade 9 to 12 credit courses that are delivered entirely using the Internet and do not require students to be physically present with one another or with their educator (i.e., asynchronous delivery)
- “Reach ahead” secondary school eLearning credits earned by Grade 8 students either during the school year or in the summer prior to entering Grade 9
Who is exempt from the requirement ?
- Secondary school students who are working toward other certificates (e.g., an Ontario Secondary School Certificate or Certificate of Accomplishment) are not required to complete the online graduation requirement
How can a student opt out of the elearning graduation requirement ?
- A parent/guardian, or a student who is 18 years of age or older, may complete the school board’s Opt Out Form to indicate that a student is seeking to opt out of the online graduation requirement at any point in time. Contact your school’s Guidance Department for this form and for information relating to eLearning opportunities