Who can apply to attend DSBN Academy?
DSBN Academy offers a grade 6 to 12 program designed to prepare and successfully transition student to post-secondary school, with a focus on students who will be the first in their families to graduate from a college or university. Eligible students across Niagara may apply to DSBN Academy.
Please review the following list of requirements before completing this application:
- Student will be entering Grades 6, 7 or 8 in September. (Note: spaces are very limited in grades 7 and 8).
- Student would be the first in their family to graduate from college or university. (If a sibling of the student has attended a post-secondary institution but the parent(s)/guardian(s) have not, the student is still considered a First Generation Student.
- Student will be willing to attend a school location that may be out of his/her community. Transportation will be provided for these students.
- Student understands that there is a mandatory after-school program that enhances the student experience beyond the classroom. These include enrichment opportunities and academic supports.
- Family is aware that only grade 9 academic courses will be offered. Secondary School Applied courses are not available.
- DSBN Academy Secondary programming is designed to prepare students for College and University.
What is the admission process?
- Parent/Guardian completes online application.
- The student's homeroom teacher and Principal of the student's school, completes a section of the application and forwards the package to DSBN Academy.
- The Application Review Committee will review the application package to determine eligibility. Please note that a lottery will be utilized if there are more eligible students that spaces available. Applicants not immediately selected for the program may be placed on a waiting list list and will be considered if spaces become available.
- Acceptance letters will be mailed to students' address no later than March 31st.